Sunday, July 27, 2008

Delayed arrival, but a strong landing!


Milo Rafael Bixler, the most adorable little man imaginable, was born on July 24, 2008, at 7:28am, weighing 8 lbs. 4 oz., and measuring 21 inches in length. He arrived with a well-functioning set of lungs which he regaled us with for quite a while in the delivery room -- it's true, you can't be happier to hear someone else sound quite so upset.

The birth itself was a total success in the end, not without some bumpy bits ( two days of labor induction, almost an emergency c-section, but in the end I was able to give birth to him myself due to an attentive and careful midwife -- Rosanne Gephart, who deserves sainthood at the very least at this point).

Through a spectacularly unfair set of circumstances and timing, Carrie Murphy missed the birth itself, but she was there through the roughest parts of the induction process, and I can't tell you how unpleasant it would have been without her, she was amazing. My mom and dad, and my lovely doula Kari O'Kane were all there to the end, and the beginning, and helped welcome Milo to the world. It was very nice to share it with all of them, although I'll admit that as of the moment of birth, I couldn't exactly focus on anything but my son -- a state that still pretty much exists. Three days of life with him, and I can't believe how lucky I am, and how wonderful he is. And how bone-shatteringly tired I am, too.

In fact, I need some sleep, so this is it for now.

Much love to all,
Sara

2 comments: